Thursday, November 19, 2009

Bleeding out your eyeballs...

First off, thanks to my guest blogger that posted Sam's picture below.

Now for the story (so you don't think I poked my baby in the eyes with a fork or something!)

Sam likes to help with the dishwasher. Actually, he likes to help remove things from the dishwasher. You know, the still dirty plates, the breakable stoneware, or just the lower rack in general.
Our problem occurred Friday night with the lower rack. He pulled it out and was scooting it around the kitchen like always. Then, I heard him crying from the other room and the stampede of big brothers rushing to his rescue that follows said cries. I relaxed as they took him into Jared, until I heard Jared telling the boys and their cousins to "Find Mom, find Kelly, get mom!"

This is where a little family history comes into play. I guess people in our house growing up used to fake being sick to miss school.My mom got to the point that she told us no one would be missing anymore school unless they were bleeding out their eyeballs. I had recently adopted this reasoning with my boys that have miraculously been healed from a few
illnesses about 15 minutes after school has started.

So, back to Friday. I walk in to the kitchen and little Sammers is actually bleeding out of his eyeballs! He had fallen on the dishwasher rack and caught the pegs in his face. His left eyelid and underneath his right eye was bleeding, and the right side of his face was scratched.
Luckily, he calmed down pretty fast ans we were able to see that the eyelid was only gouged and not poked through (sorry to my queasy sister). The other owies were just surface. his dilation was fine as well as his tracking. He just ended up with some swollen, black eyes.

Too bad he used the 'bleeding out your eyeballs' card, though. He's not even in school yet!

1 comment:

Lorna said...

I don't know how we ever survive having kids. This is one of those experiences when it could have been devastating. I'm glad he is OK!