Saturday, February 13, 2010

We're Symphony People

Jared has been excited all week about our secret date he's had planned. All I was allowed to know was that it was in Salt Lake and I needed to dress in my nicest clothes. Which made me wonder, "hmmm, which of my two boy-proof church dresses would be considered my 'nicest'?"

Anyhow, I threw on the one with the least amount of visible stains and we headed to Salt Lake. We started with a nice dinner, just the two of us. Jared dropped hints such as we have to be in our seats by 8:00, my friend with great connections got us tickets, etc. My curiosity was piqued, but I was enjoying the excitement of the surprise!

After dinner, we went to Abravanel Hall in Salt Lake. To see the Symphony. Do you see the symphony or hear the symphony? Doesn't matter, we went and it was amazing! My favorite piece was Antonín Dvorák Symphony No. 9 in E Minor, op. 95 (Don't I sound cultured?). Dvorak is from Africa and this piece had a lot of drums and African influences. The conductor was incredible. He conducted with no music of his own! I loved watching him weave and jump to bring in the different instrument groups. Amazing!
During the intermission we met with Jared's parents. They have season tickets and when Jared told them we would be there, they wanted to see us. We abandoned our floor seats and watched the second half from the balcony where they were sitting. Although I loved being close on the floor, being able to take the whole stage into view at one time and see all of the bows moving together was great, too.

So, I love the symphony. We're symphony people now. We have culture. We wear fancy (yet boy-proof) clothes. We go to the Big City. Yep, I know, you can be jealous if you want.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I'm totally jealous! And I am impressed at how quickly you blogged after Stake Conference. Go, Kelly, go!

Brossettelewis said...

wow, now your all fancy folk.