Thursday, June 19, 2008

Money, Money, Money

We've been using a website called Handipoints for a while now. It lets the kids check off their jobs as they do them and I get to grade the work at the end of the week. It also awards the kids points for their work which they can use to play games or 'buy' clothes for their cat (my sister says that part is like Webkinz). Anyhow, they can also earn other points that are to be awarded by Mom and Dad. Of course, Jake thinks all points should be traded for cash, and lots of it!!
So, we're trying something I read about in a magazine at the Dentist office last week. We bought some play money. For each week, they get play cash for however many points they earned doing jobs - 1 dollar for 1 point. They can spend their money to play computer ($2), watch TV ($2), get off the naughty stair ($3), and buy snacks from our Snack Shop which is open twice a day. The snack shop is my favorite part of this for 4 reasons:
  1. To reinforce healthy choices, carrots, apples, celery, bananas, etc are free. Granola bars, popcorn, cheese sticks, yogurt, etc are $1. Fruit snacks and the like are $3 while the least healthy choice (ice cream) is $4.
  2. They have to tell me how much change I owe them when they pay for a snack so their brains don't absolutely disintegrate over the summer.
  3. I haven't had grazing problems since we started this this week. They think about it if it's gonna cost them.
  4. I also haven't had friends over scarfing all of the pudding cups the day I bring them home from the store. The rule is your friends can have a snack, but you have to pay for them!

One place I need help is the leftover money at the end of the week. Again, Jake thinks that if he can avoid snacks, I'm gonna hand over $60 cash to him on Saturday. I mean, what mom wouldn't? I'm thinking about adding some fun activities like the dollar movie, slip-n-slide, library trip, the kids' gardens, etc but at our house that opens the "we can't agree on which activity we want to do" can. I just had a thought - I could charge them an absurd amount to do their jobs for them. At least the toilets would really get cleaned occasionally (not that they get that dirty in a house full of boys! HA HA)

So, I'm open for ideas on more ways for them to spend their money. Whattaya think?

4 comments:

Manda said...

make a badge and you can be the "Bad Attitude Po Po" and fine them for smarting off.

Or just charge them rent :)

abbybrossette said...

I have a seven peaks pass. Or we coudl make a day of it and include libby's kids and go to the lehi or orem pool and do like a picnic lunch on a sat. or something

Sarah said...

You could have each play dollar worth 5 or 10 cents cash. At the end of the week they can cash it in, but they have to pay tithing on it and save half of it. If he really wants the cash then he'll be willing to make the sacrifice.

Is he saving his money for something? If so, you should encourage that, have a jar set a side with the price of the item. If oldest just wants to spend her money on anything. And honestly, we have enough cr*p in the house that she doesn't play with and she doesn't need the candy.

Good idea opening the snack shop and having the kids earn money to spend there. I'll have to look into Handipoints.

Is Lisa Blogging? Anyone else I should know about?

Brossettelewis said...

Ya can't handicap him for doing what the system is trying to get him to do. "dollars" can be redeemed for 20 cents on the dollar, sort of like real coupons but better. $12 (.20x60) is doable if he is not eating snacks, watching tv, or computer all day, every day. Plus that will get old during the summer and he'll cave. Plus, are the jobs being done right or halfarced? Hitler up and make him do an full price quality job.

I like the Attitude Po Po too. That'll kill him.