Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Is history repeating itself ?

Go back a few years:
I was in second grade. I got headaches on an almost daily basis. My teacher sent me to see the nurse on an almost daily basis. I'm sure they all thought I was full of bologna. But, my mom and dad took me to a few doctors to figure things out. I had 120 pricks with an allergists needle. No allergies. I had a CAT scan at the neurologist. No CATs or whatever they were looking for. I went to an optometrist. Eyes were fine. Finally, one doctor told us the headaches were related to stress and perfectionism (you'd never know I had that problem now!) and the only thing to do was treat them. After all, my dad has the same headaches as does his mom.

Come back to the present:
Cam has called me twice this year (that I can remember) when I have gone and checked him out for stomach aches. Once we're home, he seems to be OK. Last week at the Book Fair, he spent an hour on the couch in the library with me and a stomach ache before deciding to go back to his class. Today, he called with a stomach ache and head ache that settled in right before math time. I bribed him with a trip to the gas station if he would stay the last hour of school and he agreed.

But, I wonder, if I passed something down to him? I think Cam is most like me and has more physical traits from my side of the family, but did I give him this wonderful gift, too? Or, he just a second grade boy and I'm a sucker mom? My plan for now is to talk to the teacher and have her let me know if these aches start at the same time or during the same subject each time. I'm wondering if there's some school subject that triggers anxiety for him. And, as for now, I guess I owe him a trip to the gas station.


P.S. Mom, what else did the dr's say when I went through this? Am I forgetting any key mental problems I might have?

5 comments:

Heather said...

What an adventure! I have no words of advice. Sounds like you have a great plan in action already.

Kathryn said...

I was diagnosed with anxiety until I was an adult. But looking back I can recognize so many signs. Wish I knew then how to calm myself or to understand that my best was ok. Does that make sense?

Or maybe just the skills to deal with stuff I didn't particularly like...

NOT saying that Cam has the same issue, just saying that it's good you're aware. How great to have a mom who's willing to recognize, understand & try to work things out.

Push a little, give a little, and love a lot - is what I think.

Sounds like you're right on track. :)

Kim said...

I'm a professional worrier and I passed it on to Jonathan too. I get the stomach ache calls too, but I had to tell him not to call me anymore unless there is evidence (i.e. vomit). It is good not to rescue them every time so they can learn how to deal with stressful situations on their own. And, like Kathryn said, give him lots of love. Cam is lucky to have a mom who understands how he feels.

Brossettelewis said...

Once you were on a methamphetamine you were fine. I think Manda can hook you up.

yomommadonna said...

I remember feeling awful because I couldn't make them go away. We tried everything, even the food testing, remember... I think it was a neuralgia passed down from your father's family. Some little nerve ending was not happy in your brain. And yes, stress triggers it. Do you recall on almost every visit, when Dad and I leave, you have a headache? You want everything so perfect, kids so well behaved, day trips planned to a tee. Yep, your an "A" type personality, just like your dad.I don't ever recall it making your stomach hurt.