Saturday, February 7, 2009

So what do YOU do?

I've been thinking about this a lot, but this morning sealed the deal.
Here's this morning's story. My son, we'll call him boy to save him public humiliation, wakes up and begins bawling when his dad reminds him he needs to get to the Primary Party by 9:30 to help. Helping will pass off a goal in his Faith in God book. Boy doesn't want to go because he's already passed this one off. I remind him that we a re here to help others, that's what the gospel is all about. Boy says he doesn't like to help others. I remind him of how much time his leaders have put into this party and he should go to show them respect. Boy still isn't seeing it my way. I finally told boy to get his tush in the shower, he's going and he's helping. It's what we do.
Boy's brother comes home from a sleepover in the meantime. I found boy's bro on the computer and reminded him to pick up his sleepover stuff on his way upstairs to get ready for the Primary Party. Boy's bro falls apart because he hasn't been able to play computer since he left last night. I tell boy's bro to get his tush upstairs and ready!
Back to Boy. He's showered and downstairs watching his favorite cartoon. I remind him he needs to pick a favorite book to take to the Party to donate. He can't find one and it's time to go. I realize 10 minutes later that he's still watching his cartoon because Dad isn't ready to take him yet. In my mind, these are ten minutes that could've been used to find a book instead of cartoonage.

SO, here's my question to you : What have you tried/done to help kids learn
to serve, think of others, realize how blessed they are, and realize
the great need that is out there?


We donate toys to DI, do Secret Santas, talk about where our Fast Offering goes, etc, but I think we need some more hands-on things that they are really a part of. The words that come to mind are : I want it to pinch a little. With the above things, they don't realize any sacrifice due to Fast Offering, they donate toys to DI that they were done with anyways, and Secret Santa is just picking out toys but Mom and Dad pay for them. I've come up with things like hygiene kits we can put together, I can teach them to crochet leper bandages, and I'm going to check into age minimums at the food shelter.
What else have you done that's really made an impact on your young kids? Give me some ideas in the comments!

6 comments:

Kim said...

I would like some ideas too. That same scene could have been played out in my house. Let me know what you find out about helping at a shelter.

Lorna said...

Being the old sage mother that I am, I would say you are doing it all right. It takes years to see the results and just because they want to watch cartoons and play on the computer doesn't mean they don't care about others. I totally agree with making them go and I have to admit sometimes I have to make myself go. The best time to talk about it is after the service. It is usually a great experience. The other thing is your example. They will remember how you and Jared serve and they will have the same desire. Just be patient!

Lorna said...

Oh I forgot to say, don't count on the "realize how blessed they are" and "realize the great need out there" it doesn't seem apparent until they go on a mission. I think they know it all along but you won't see it for a long time

Heather said...

Just so you know - Boy did help until Josh's group came through, and then Josh did not want to rotate without help of said Boy, so Boy left to continue helping Joshie. You have great kids - you are clearly doing something right!

Sarah said...

Here's what a friend of mine does at Christmas, but it could be at anytime. http://thirtymarens.blogspot.com/2008/12/change-for-change.html

That would make it pinch a little. But I also think that it's good for kids to serve and not realize that they are. By getting them out to help the neighbor or visit someone home bound. And pointing out after the fact that it was fun and enjoyable and that you helped them. I think it's when service doesn't pinch it make kids realize that serving can be fun. But sometimes it does require sacrifice and that's when doing something like my friend does or going to a food shelter helps with that part.

Fancypants said...

Dr. Phil once said to empty a child's room of everything except a mattress and blanket.

Uh, hello? That's way too much work for me! I just yell louder and louder each time.

I'M JUST KIDDING EVERYONE!!