Wednesday, July 30, 2008

We're going to school naked...

So, I tried to take the boys to do a little school clothes shopping yesterday. It was really an exercise in frustration! I like to feel like I've beat the system, you know, I price match, I coupon, I watch for deals in the paper, etc. I'm willing to do a little extra planning/leg work to get the quality I want for the price I'm willing to pay.
So, we started at Target (mostly because I had a $10 coupon if I filled my Rx there). They had some decent polos on sale for $4.99. Jake got one - he'll take anything just to be able to buy something! Cam admitted he wouldn't really wear the polo because he doesn't like buttons, so we put his back. The rest of their tees were close to $10. I couldn't do it - it was just a tee shirt!

Next, we went to Old Navy because it was just next door. On some of my deal websites, people were talking about walking out of there with loads of clothes for their kids for a fraction of the original price. I'm not really much of an ON fan anymore, their stuff has gotten so cheap and thin in the last few years, but we'll try it. They had tees and polos which seems pretty standard. But, I was so frustrated that the all of the tees were either "bu** ugly" (as we used to say growing up), had skulls all over them, or some attitude mess written on them.

If some kid had come into my classroom with a shirt that said"You're not the Boss of Me", I think I would've found an excuse to keep him in for recess to show him I was. Even though the boys think the shirts are funny, I really don't think they're OK and I don't want that to be the teachers' first impression of my little sweeties. Skulls are on everything; there was even a shirt with a football on it, but when you looked closer the football was made of tiny skulls. What the heck?
So, we're pretty much going to school naked. I figure that's less offensive to the teachers and my budget.

3 comments:

abbybrossette said...

Gymboree has non-offensive shirts, yeah they might be called 'gay' in the halls and beat up after school, but you have to pick your battles. I noticed they also have a 'Slim & Husky' link, so you could shop for Jake and Sam at the same time - One stop shopping.

Manda said...

Didn't beans get school clothes for his birthday?

Brossettelewis said...

Walmart has blank Hanes T's for like $4.88. You could always home school, you've got a degree and all.