Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where were you?

As I took the boys to school this morning, a lady called in on the radio and said she was near tears because there were so few American flags flying this morning. In our old neighborhood, the Scouts out flags in everyone's yards for 9/11, but we don't have that here. Do you remember where you were when you heard?
I do.
It was just like this morning. I was getting ready for a bunch of preschoolers. Two year old Jake was running around and Cam was a day away from 2 months. My neighbor called and told us to turn on the TV. I sat there in shock, watching things unfold on TV. The thought came to pop a blank video in the VCR and record it. I'm so glad I did.
I couldn' t help but cry as I thought of the thousands of people dying, and especially the little children that wouldn't see their parents again. That really got to me as I watched my two babies play on the floor. It's usually the boys that serve our country in wars, and even though they were so small at the time, it scared me to death to think of them leaving to fight in a war. Now, on the seventh anniversary of 9/11, my fears are still real as my number of boys has doubled and they could very well defend our country one day.
So, as I remember all of this this morning, I think I've made sense of something else. Last week was our Stake Conference. Saturday night, a speaker quoted this scripture:

Now they never had fought, yet they did not fear death; and they did think more upon the liberty of their fathers than they did upon their lives; yea, they had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them.
And they rehearsed unto me the words of their mothers, saying: We do not doubt our mothers knew it.
Alma 56:46-47

It hit home because I have sons and it's my job to teach them. I know that Heavenly Father gave us the scriptures so we could apply them to ourselves. My boys may or may not fight battles in wars when they get older. But, my testimony and example will help them as they fight the battles of right and wrong everyday. One day, I bet Heavenly Father will ask each of us where we were when our children were doing certain things. We're responsible for our armies.

3 comments:

Lorna said...

Kelly, Thank you for your post. We had just spent the night in our new house on Walden and Mark's sister called and just said turn on the TV. It was astonishing to watch. We kept the kids home from school for a few hours and then went to sign the papers on our house. I didn't even want to leave home. I called Daniel (at BYU) and told him he had better get working on his mission papers because he may be called up to war. I had lots of fears and sorrows. He thought I was over reacting. I knew it would all lead to something and like you I have 4 boys and I had no idea how to deal with all of my thoughts right then. Now Daniel is home from a mission and married with a beautiful daughter. Kevin has also served and Mitchell will get his call in 3 weeks. I did not want to prepare them for war but to serve their Heavenly Father where ever he needed them. I would have sent them to war too but I didn't have to. Either way they were ready and willing. I have to say that they were safer on a mission than living at home, especially Kevin. All of the work and effort to raise good boys (and girl) are so worth it. Keep up the great work Kelly. The world needs your boys!

Kim said...

Just so you know, your old neighborhood seems to have forgot the flags today. :( I was surprised not to see them. I appreciated your insight and the scripture you shared. I was at the same conference and that did not occur to me at the time.

On 9/11/01 I was driving to work when I heard the news on the radio. At first I thought it had to be a sick joke being played by the morning DJ's, so I changed to the news station to find out it was true. Needless to say, nobody got much work done that day, but I was glad to have all my coworkers around that day. There is some comfort in being with friends when such a tragedy strikes.

Kathryn said...

I heard that lady on the radio too! I went straight out & put our flags in the yard. It hurts my heart that we're already drifting away from the emotions of that day.

Where was I? I was sleeping in. Russell took the day off of work & he drove the kids to school. I heard him zoom into the garage & burst into the house. I was ready to get mad at him, but he ran to the TV & turned it on. We sat and cried for hours. I remember that it took me a year to scrapbook that day. I still can't fully wrap my brain around it. It hurts my heart.