Sunday, July 12, 2009

Home Church and Sunday Stations

Since Sam has had Hand/Foot/Mouth Disease and Cam and Josh are playing "Pass the Fever", we opted to stay home from church today. The big boys asked if we could have Home Church like we did a couple of months ago when I had bronchitis. That time, we spent the morning in our jammies watching movies about Joseph Smith that Grandma M had given us for Christmas.
This time, I had another idea that I found in the March 'Friend'. We read the story called "Sunday Stations" and then we made up our own stations. We stayed in each station for 15 minutes. Our ideas for stations are:
  1. email family on the computer (or play games on the Friend website for Josh)
  2. look at scrapbooks
  3. help mom color & cut things for the Sunday Box
  4. Write letters to Great-Grandma Gigi and Elder Brower (our cousin)
  5. read stories (or be read to) from the Friend magazine
  6. work on Faith in God book (or draw a picture of what you will do to be like Jesus this week for Josh)
I was amazed at how well the boys participated in each station. It was, as if they were really having fun! Even though Jared said he was going to report me to the bishop for starting my own church, Church of the Meiners, I think we'll be doing this every Sunday. They were calm, they were reverent, they were eager to do the things I suggested. What more could a mom ask for???

4 comments:

Brossettelewis said...

Just change the name and you're good.

Mary said...

What a great idea! Next time I'm sick on Sunday... I'll send my kids to your house. :)

The Burninghams said...

I love it! We did the Sunday stations when that monthly friend edition came out.

Kathryn said...

I'd like to join the Church of the Meiners - where do I sign up?

Games, pj's, snacks - sounds perfect! :)