Friday, April 9, 2010

Rock Hounds a.k.a. Geology Belt Loop and badge

We went to Topaz Mountain today and made several other stops, too, to collect rocks. The boys had a blast, but , honestly...it was a long way to drive for ROCKS! I mean, my neighbor has rocks in his yard! We coulda just used those! OK, call me Kelly Whiners, I'm just a little tired tonight.

We really did have a good time. The best part was a surprise - there's no cell phone reception and no radio stations out there. And, the dirt roads are too bumpy for the DVD player. It was just us. Talking. To each other. All day. It was a really nice break from the craziness and distractions you find at home!

The boys had a blast climbing all over at Topaz Mountain. Jared and Jake took the rock hunting seriously with giant nails and pick axes. Cam and Josh dug around a little, but had more fun chasing giant beetles. Sam was amazed at the amount of dirt and was content to sit and get dirty. After digging in the mountain for a while, we gave up on finding any topaz. The websites we looked at said it was very abundant, but we guessed a lot of other people must've looked at those same sites over the years! I think this site was for more serious hunters.




This is at the Geode Fields. It was actually a pit of soft dirt that you could dig in and find geodes. Jared dug and the boys smashed! Jake and Cam both had hammers and loved smashing the rocks to see if they were really geodes.




We went to a spot that had obsidian or Apache Tears laying all over the ground. We literally stepped out of the car and started picking up stones. We all had bulging pockets by the time we left this area.



1 comment:

yomommadonna said...

I would have loved being there in the dirt scratching around. I'll have to show the boys "my rock collection". Mainly made up of Utah rocks. Ha! I know there is a rock shop in Dallas, but talking dad into visiting may be difficult. We are going over for my birthday next weekend, to the temple and MAYBE Medival Times. I'm trying hard to talk him into it. The Texas Motor Speedway will be bringing a lot of traffic that weekend, and dad wants to stay on the east side of town. POO! My second choice (for years) has been Waco and the Texas Ranger Museum. As for Sam and James, I'd love to be on the sofa watching them sleep. It's been 3 1/2 months and I'm getting itchy. Not to worry, I don't have any time available till the end of July. Give everyone a kiss.