Wednesday, April 28, 2010

We've been having growing pains at our house. The kind of hurts that come with growing up and realizing it takes work to be a friend. Jake's had a tough time lately with a group of his best friends. We've talked about friendship, apologizing, being open to others' suggestions/ideas, and maybe not following mom's sarcastic ways with everyone (not everyone appreciates this special gift).

Yesterday, Jake came home and asked if he could make brownies for a friend. I tried not to pry as I helped. Once they were cooled and cut, he set out three plates. "Why three plates?", I asked.

"I want to take brownies to X, Y, and Z and tell them I'm sorry for whatever I did to make them mad at me and tell them that I still want to be friends."

I'm so proud of Jake for thinking of a positive way to handle this. When we discussed apologizing, he was adamant that he'd done nothing wrong (stubborness is another gift he received from me). It took a lot for him to apologize and the idea to make treats was just icing on top. He's growing up. ~sniffle sniffle~

No comments: