Saturday, August 23, 2008

Jake's 9th Birthday

Jake turned nine today. He was real particular about 'what time' he would actually be nine. Luckily, since he was the first, I'm pretty sure it was around 2:00 in the afternoon. If not, that is now the new official time of his birth.
We started the day at the Church Welfare Farm. We got to help weed some around the fences. Afterwards, our ward had pizza and cookies. While we were eating, they announced that we had 67 people from our ward there this morning and they were all gonna sing "Happy Birthday" to Jake. He loved it!
He had a Bakugan party, of course! The boys started with a wild game of Tag around our house which was quickly ended by Mom, a.k.a The Party Pooper (every party needs one!) That game wasn't on the agenda nor was it pre-approved by anyone with any authority! So, I led them into the kitchen where we all designed our own Bakugan cards. I was surprised at how intense this turned out to be. I mean, you have to select the right claws and powers to eliminate everyone else and that takes strategy! The other activity was planned by Jared - no kidding! He went last Tuesday and made full size copies of some of Jake's Bakugan cards. He took the boys out in the yard and did some kind of throwing objects/gathering cards game with them. ( This was the most exciting part of the party for me because I think I've put together 19 bday parties at this point and he not only helped, but was proactive in the planning part. Definitely a mistake on his part because I have now seen his potential for other events!)
Anyhow, we had a Bakugan cake and before anyone is brave enough to compare mine to the $350 one from a previous post, we decided to forgo the fondant and just use frosting. Otherwise it would have been identical! Jake loved it anyways and that's all that really matters!
He got a lot of Bakugans, Bionicles, and other boy stuff. Mom and Dad gave him cat food, a cat bed, and a pooper scooper, as he called it. I know~ I said never, ever, ever, ever, never any pets, but, well, you know? Uncle Craig's cat had kittens. Jake fell in love with said kittens weeks ago. I said never , ever, ever, never until I see you can be responsible to take care of something besides yourself. There. I'm safe! Well, he's tried really hard. He's wanted a pet since he was 5. Maybe, I thought, the kitten would help teach him that same responsibilty that I'm looking for. Well, let's hope for little Puma's sake! Besides I need someting to do ~ I was getting bored with the kids back in school...
Cameron, Jakey and Kaelen showing off little Puma, the never, ever, ever, never kitten
Jake and CJ working on their Bakugan cards
Funny face Jake and his Drago, the Bakugan cake.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Dude that's one great cake. I guess you didn't take my cop out suggestion. But to your cradit, it looks great! Better than that junkie one from Australia with inedible fondant on it. Great job mom, and Happy Birthday Jake!

Kim said...

I'm very impressed with your cake making abilities. It looks great! Happy birthday Jake!